Saturday, September 8, 2018

Getaway to Pacific Grove

We had some credit to use up on Alaska airlines, and my mom was going to be in Monterey anyway, so I decided rather last-minute to spend some time up there and fly back to SD with her for Ryan's birthday. Overall, a delightful trip with the perfect amount of alone time and mom time. And LOTS of reading!

I'm just going to dump all the pics here; too lazy to disperse and caption.













Wednesday

After a night of restless sleep in which I was so worried my alarm wouldn’t go off, I finally woke myself up for the day at 4:25am. That gave me a luxurious half hour to not shower, do my makeup, and gather up a couple last-minute things. I had time to go through the Starbucks drive-thru for coffee and a breakfast sandwich. The drive to the airport was easy though the freeway was not empty by any means.

I read a book the entire flight. I always think I’m going to constantly notice how nice it is when I don’t have children with me. But I suppose since the years I’ve spent without children far outweighs the four with, it just kinda feels normal. It certainly was glorious being able to read with little to no interruptions (AND no one in the seat next to me!). On this trip, I’m reading Accidental Saints, by Nadia Bolz-Weber. It is wrecking me. She’s poetic at times, but always grounded in reality. And whatever you think of her potty mouth, she speaks truth in such a simple way. Her brutal honesty is such a nice change from the sanitized, sappy drivel you might find in other Christian books. I surprised myself by having to hold back tears a couple times; nothing super profound, but she is just SO spot on with the gospel.

My mom and Steven picked me up, and our first stop was Crema for coffee/breakfast burritos. Holly and Larry joined us with their dog for awhile before we headed over to BookWorks to look at books/stuff for the kiddos. I bought sexy pencils (fat mechanical pencils and the Blackwings I’ve coveted for so long). My mom and I strolled PG (?) then headed to Fandango for a light lunch with Steven. Did (more?) strolling, then checked into my room. We headed over to Tip N Toe for spa pedicures. I had a little glass of red wine. Nice massage chairs and they did a good job. Briefly stopped at the Rent All to look at some old photos, then I sat and read by the fire with my mini glass of wine/appetizers at the Gosby until it was time for dinner at Poppy Hall. The portions were small, but the food was good. I spent the rest of the evening being anti-social once again while my mom and Holly chatted in the parlor while I read by the fire.

I slept pretty well considering I usually take 2 or 3 nights to adjust in a new room/bed.

Thursday

I wanted to sleep til 7, and I did after a little wakeup earlier. Breakfast at Crema. The Papas Poblanos is soooo good. Back to the Gosby then parted ways—Mom to the Rent All and I to walk to Asilomar Conference Grounds.

What a DELIGHTFUL walk! It’s been overcast the whole time here, but it’s still beautiful. The oak tree leaves have a familiar crunch under my feet, and the smells of the foresty coast remind me so much of my childhood coming here. This truly feels like home or second-home in so many ways, even when walking streets I’m unfamiliar with. I LOVE the random delights you find when you’re walking somewhere. I happened upon a cross street with free library nooks at all four corners of the intersection. One house had multiple genres of book nooks. And an area for kids to play dinosaurs. I love the pride that the people of Pacific Grove take in tending their yards and homes.

My lower back is killing me lately. It’s been an issue for years, but I just don’t think about it usually. I don’t know why it’s aggravating me so much lately. It feels better when I stretch it or crack it (which I can do just by stretching down/forward at pretty much any time), then it’s tight and painful 2 minutes later. My abs took such a hit from pregnancy that perhaps I just need more time to recover and rebuild. I suspect my back is doing extra work since my core/abs are out of whack. Picking up/holding children all the time certainly doesn’t help. Ryan is getting pretty heavy. I don’t have that excuse on this trip; just walking around will do me in, so …..???

I love this mini Awahnee that is Asilomar Lodge. The fireplace, the beautiful gigantic art nouveau rug, the wood, the rocking chairs. So that’s where I’m writing this. I’ll do some more reading as well. I just might finish a book or two on this #nationalreadabookday.

I walked back toward the ocean, stopped for a giant cinnamon roll at Pavel's, briefly met my mom and her friends at Lover's Point, then we drove around looking at real estate. Hehe. It's fun to dream. Stopped to see Grandma and Grandpa's graves; there were some beautiful deer nearby. That sight never gets old on the peninsula.

After freshening up back at the Gosby, we walked to dinner at Peppers with Steven and his buddy. Mom and I chatted in front of the fire and had dessert (delicious coconut cake + ginger cookies) back at the Gosby.

Friday

Horrible no-good very bad day of traveling literally all day to get home. Our flight out of Monterey was canceled; I got the last seat on a flight out of San Jose to SD (ubered there for $$$), while my mom drove down with my uncle, who luckily was already planning on going. Scrambled to get the house ready for guests; finally sat down and my mom arrived and dad shortly after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indio, March 2026

Sunday 3/30 Left around 7:30 Got to tram around 9:30. The wait was one hour, so Cliff got tix for us and the Andrades while we waited in the...