Sunday, January 13, 2019

Idyllwild, January 2019

Thursday

  • We got Ada early from preschool, and the kids BOTH napped on the drive. Forgot about the fire and was shocked how close it got to town. Patches of snow on the way.
  • Arrived at house. Old and funky but fine; nothing too janky. Has loft, which we didn't sleep in, but the kids played in a few times. Pics made it look like yard was bigger/more private, but not the case. Front yard butts right up to a main road, which would be my biggest hesitation in staying here again. I loved the yard at the "triangle house" better.
  • Massage. Hippie lady. She was late but the massage was good. She played the didgeridoo at the end 😂
  • Idyllwild Brewpub. Don't need to come back here--service was sub par. Didn't feel welcome. I still like the Brussels sprouts but everything else, esp beer, is just meh.
  • Fire at home 😊
  • I developed a horrible yeast infection right before this trip. That was really the only damper; otherwise it was so much fun!
Quotes:
Mom, would you like a stale carrot? -Ada
RYAN SAID 'PENIS'!! [at restaurant] -Ada
I need to put this away--STOP DRIVING! -Ryan
Let's talk about Caillou. -Ryan










Friday

  • Breakfast at home
  • Snow-- Azalea trails on way to Dark Canyon campground?
  • Lunch at Idyllwild Bake & Brew. Such a good cheese steak sandwich!! Peppers, shrooms, onions, roast beef on jalapeno cheese bread. Mmmm. Got cinnamon roll too for later. Peppermint latte.
  • El Buen Cacao. Little girl Sophia was there; the kids played outside while we ate truffles. They didn't have the chocolate to make the drinks for some reason, so will be back.
  • Pharmacy but didn't have my Rx yet.
  • Naps. They just talked the whole time 🙄
  • Library/pharmacy
  • I walked all way to end of main drag; so many weirdos (particularly antiques/oddities store owner who gave me a whole rehearsed spiel). Thought there would be more normal antiques shops.
  • Walked back to El Buen Cacao where Cliff was with the kids, playing with Sophia again. 
  • Tried to dine at El Gordito Tacos but closed for unknown reasons. Then drove to La Casita but it looked full; bummed cuz patio was so pretty with Christmas lights but saw no heaters outside.
  • But thankfully, we ended up at Plant Food Supper Club. We obvs aren't huge on vegan food, but we will def be back!! It has all the elements: excellent service (our server was so kind and kept updating us on the status of our food, knowing how tough it can be waiting with kids), excellent food, and cute decor without trying too hard. It's in an old 70s style diner (think half-triangle roof with all windows).
  • Now we're back home with a fire lit, reading our library books we got today, and I'm sipping my delicious Mexican hot chocolate I got earlier from El Buen Cacao. Oh, interesting side note: they told us they're moving to where they manufacture, next to the brewpub. Yay for more space!













Saturday

  • Had leftover sandwich and cinnamon roll for breakfast
  • Got ready and met Cliff and the kids over at the meadow in Idyllwild Park. There's camping here. Saw lots of scrub jays and woodpeckers.
  • Packed up and headed to lunch at Idyllwild Bake & Brew. I was so excited they had the meatloaf, unlike yesterday, for their meatloaf sandwich. The meatloaf itself was good, but it just doesn't work as a sandwich.
  • El Buen Cacao for a Mexican mocha for the road
  • Just like our last trip to Idyllwild, the kids were MANIACS in the car; I was freaking exhausted from the usual not sleeping well on vacay (someone was making his loud noises in his sleep... Oh and Ada woke us in the middle of the night cuz her stuffed animal fell out of bed--took me HOURS to go back to sleep). They did not nap.





Can you tell how tired and pissed I am?

For next time

A couple things opening that sound interesting + other notes to remember for future trips
  • As I said earlier, El Buen Cacao should be moving to their manufacturing plant near the brewpub
  • This is where Ericca and fam has stayed. Hot tuuuub! Watch out for snakes: Ivanhoe, https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/17269883
  • They were renovating a playground that was right by our house, within walking distance. Hopefully it's finished next time!
  • I brought my fav lotion this time and used it profusely!! I needed it badly when we were here in summer and just as badly in winter, apparently.
  • Other things:
Local snow-play areas (this was posted at the library)

Black Mountain Coffee Roasting & Tasting Room - just off the main road

Various yoga & pilates classes

Idyllwild Demonstration Garden - youngidyllwild.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indio, March 2026

Sunday 3/30 Left around 7:30 Got to tram around 9:30. The wait was one hour, so Cliff got tix for us and the Andrades while we waited in the...