Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Idyllwild January 2020

We decided last-minute to go to Idyllwild. We'd been looking at going President's weekend, but so many things were already booked. Also didn't love the idea of being anywhere in a small town that was also crowded.

Here are my trip notes. Going to laze it this time and post pics at the end.

Friday
1:20p left. Arrived 3:30?
Panicked cuz I thought I sent Cliff wrong link--but Airbnb lady gave him wrong directions leading us into Pine Cove.
Got to the right house, settled (after having to turn on water), then headed to library then playground (finally open!!), groceries.
Dinner at Ferro. Got same as last time (Bolognese), delicious.
Picked up duraflame and headed home. Read by the fire 😌
Slept terribly cuz so hot and headache from smallest glasses of wine!! Furnace here needs to be set to below 60 cuz bedrooms get so hot.

Saturday
Oatmeal for kids then Town Baker. Bleh. Omelette, potatoes gross (bacon cooked well), BUT baked goods I thought were good but Cliff hated the cinnamon roll.
Back home kids played inside
Drove to find snow. The gate was closed to the place we went to last time, so we went farther up the other road. We found a steep patchy swath of snow that wasn't ideal but ended up exploring on that hillside for most of the time. There was another gentler slope farther down the trail on the other side that we ended up doing a couple more saucers on. Ada was scared to do the saucer but ended up loving it. Ryan liked it okay but he's also coming down with another cold.
Back home for leftover pizza/wine + I finally finished David Copperfield!!
Back out for El Buen Cacao for chocolates and Mexican mocha. Sophia was there, and we bought girl scout cookies from her.
Then library to take pics with Mayor Max and see a book reading from a children's author. We won the book! Ada made Valentines while Ryan did a scavenger hunt they had going on.
The Playground.
Dinner at Idy Sushi Rolls. Pretty good for Idyllwild. Def not the most amazing sushi or yakisoba I've had, but it's nice to have a relatively healthy decent food option.
Got dessert (AMAZING milkshake, choc mousse cup, sipping chocolate) at Buen Cacao while the kids and Sophia and another girl played hide and seek. I haven't loved most of their truffles; their drinks are really where it's at.
Another fire back at the house. Ryan woke up with a horrible croupy cough around 9:30 :( I had never heard him have such trouble breathing! The stridor part of it was really bad. I had Cliff take him outside a couple times and that helped him breathe. I slept in bunks with Ada (SO creaky and loud! she told me to stop at one point; slept terribly cuz I felt like I couldn't move) while Ryan slept in king bed with Cliff. Not our best night of sleep ever....

Sunday
Packed up and left around 7:30. Now that the bake shop is closed, I wasn't that excited to go anywhere for breakfast + we wanted to get back early so Cliff could make stuff for super bowl party. Still want to try maybe Red Kettle or Mile High (or even Higher Grounds) for breakfast next time.

About the house: no shampoo or coffee grinder or Kleenex. Comfy firm King bed!! Top bunks in kids' rooms had hairs all over. Ugh. Everything is kinda dated/not cute and I'm kinda grossed out by things like the polyester bedspread. Couch not comfy. There are all these notes/instructions that look so ghetto--post-its. Like why not make cuter more permanent signs? There are only 2 small bowls in the kitchen. Bunk beds are super loud/creaky. The heater (like many in old cabins) pretty much just blasts out hot air and got the back rooms SO SO warm while the front remained kinda chilly. I had it at 59 overnight and was still too hot. Now I know why the vents were all closed in those rooms...
Despite a relatively short drive, there was lots of whining. Also Ryan used barely anything he brought.

Made it!

It's finally open after so many months closed!

@Ferro - delicious


Thank you Duraflame







She licked this.


Meeting with the Mayor












Bunkin' together

No comments:

Post a Comment

Indio, March 2026

Sunday 3/30 Left around 7:30 Got to tram around 9:30. The wait was one hour, so Cliff got tix for us and the Andrades while we waited in the...