Thursday, February 20, 2020

Palm Desert Feb 2020

I specified the month in the title of this post because, for some reason, I feel like I want to go back to the desert before the year is out. So thus I would have more than one 2020 desert blog entry. I don't like the desert IN THEORY. But... it provides an escape that's so different from my normal life that it puts me in a different state of mind, almost. I certainly couldn't live there. It might be a similar phenomenon to the reason we like Vegas but aren't much for gambling or crowds. There's just something about it.

Anyway...

Saturday

Took our sweet time getting out there--had lunch at Stone on the way out. Ryan napped toward the end. My parents arrived a bit before us and met us when we were checking in at the front. Our place ended up being in Villas I again, though farther back in the complex. Still a great location I'd stay at again. Almost exact same room but different view/different part of the golf course. We could kinda see a pond like last time, and there were geese, like last time.

The kids had a BLAST playing on the pullout couch/sectional. It had a pullout bed that was nice and firm like those bed in a box things, so it basically turned into one giant couch-fort they could crawl around on (and sleep on). I wish we'd had another room though. Them being out on the couch for sleep meant that we had to retire/not use the fireplace or kitchen when they went to bed. Last time here, we had another whole room next door, making it a true suite.

We all hung out at our place while my parents waited for theirs to be ready. Had a little happy hour vino.

Drove to El Ranchito Taco Shop for dinner. It was kinda small and crowded. The tacos were delicious. The other stuff looked mediocre. Ryan knocked over a big cup of horchata right into Ada's lap and a little on me. She was soaked. Poor thing did fairly well after an initial freakout. Cliff headed back with the kids while I went with my parents to Ralph's for groceries. I'd forgotten a bunch of stuff for the mai tais, which is sooo frustrating since I had everything I needed back home.

Then it was basically bedtime/eat ice cream sandwiches in bed and have a little wine.

Unfortunately, the inhabitants in the room above us stomped around like freaking elephants and woke us from our sleep. Then they woke up at 5am both days and woke all of us up!! It made the trip a little rough since everyone was grumpy from lack of sleep, especially the kids.





Carne and Al Pastor

Pre- Horchata Incident


Sunday

Ate breakfast at 'home'. Sipped coffee on the porch and watched golfers while the kids fed ducks. Took the kids to the kids' club. Note to self: the Marketplace is just gross stuff reheated. Do not go there again. Went to Grammy & Pop-Pop's with Ada to check out their room, which was much smaller than ours. They were really close to the main pool.

Killed some time at the playground, then headed to a driving range. The kids kinda got in the way. I feel really silly and self-conscious hitting golf balls. I'm so bad! It started warming up--perfect timing to go back and get ready for the pool.

It took me forever to prep the stuff for mai tais; wish I'd done all the prep ahead of time. They DID turn out really good, though! It was worth the effort. I snuck them in my water bottle to the pool, where they had the perfect sized pebble ice in their ice machine. Only occasionally did a worker walk by, so we didn't have to be TOO sneaky.

We stayed too long and weren't great about sunscreen. We also spent a lot of time in the hot tub. Ada got heat illness, I think. :/ She was exhausted once we left--and we had stayed back while Cliff took Ryan home.

We rested up a bit then headed out for dinner again. Eureka has good food, but the service at that location/night was sooo slow. We didn't get back until right before bedtime, which was unfortunate because Ada really needed to go to bed early. She even fell asleep in the booth at the restaurant.


Golf Center at Palm Desert

Such service! Illegal mai tai in hand


Hot tub time

Down time



Monday

G&P had offered to watch the kids so C and I could go to breakfast, but since we were up at 5 again (UGH!), we were too grumpy and antsy. The place we wanted to try didn't open til 8, so we ended up at a coffee place called IW Coffee & Chai. The pastries were pretty bland, and the eggs/bacon offerings were super basic, but it was nice to have those options. The coconut latte was delicious, however. I want to go back for the chai flight!

We went back to our place and packed up to be ready for checkout. I read my book and sipped MORE coffee and watched the golfers out the back patio. A couple balls came reeeally close, so I guess we need to be more careful with the kids playing out there. G&P came back and we all hung out a bit there before going to the rec center/kids' club for outdoor games--cornhole, pool, ping pong. Ada and I painted a bit with my travel watercolor kit. I need to bring that more often! It's so handy and easy.

We had lunch at a sandwich place called the Lunch Box. No idea why it has such good ratings. Super plain. Also super slow service, and the kids were melting down. Poor things were so tired!

Headed home home after stopping for potty/Starbucks while Cliff got gas. The kids passed out within two minutes. The ride was relatively smooth. We stopped at a fireplace company on the way back, so I commend the kids for being so patient!

I don't know if I hate or absolutely love those bright brass chairs
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Indio, March 2026

Sunday 3/30 Left around 7:30 Got to tram around 9:30. The wait was one hour, so Cliff got tix for us and the Andrades while we waited in the...